With the Bills back under the lights at St. John Fisher tonight, I wanted to take a look at what I think the final 53 man roster will look like when the Bills kick off at Baltimore on September 9th. As we know from last year, a lot can change during the course of training camp, but let’s take an early look at the pre-camp version of the 53 man roster.
*Players listed in no particular order*
QB (3): Nathan Peterman, AJ McCarron, Josh Allen
RB (3): LeSean McCoy, Chris Ivory, Travaris Cadet
- Taiwan Jones could make a run at a spot, especially as a special teams player, but I have him as a cut for now.
FB (1): Patrick DiMarco
WR (7): Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones, Jeremy Kerley, Ray-Ray McCloud, Andre Holmes, Malachi Dupre, Rod Streater
- This is the biggest moving target on the roster. Outside of Benjamin and Jones, there is no saying how the rest of the WR corps will look. Right now, I will give Andre Holmes the final spot over fan favorite Brandon Riley, but that may come to change over the course of camp. Dupre had a strong spring at OTA’s and I’m not sure Kerley isn’t more than just a camp body.
TE (3): Charles Clay, Nick O’Leary, Keith Towbridge
- Towbridge reportedly had a strong spring, so I gave him the final spot, but he is far from a lock at this point.
OL (9): Dion Dawkins, Vlad Ducasse, Ryan Groy, John Miller, Jordan Mills, Russell Bodine, Wyatt Teller, Gerhard de Beer, Conor McDermott
- Huge change with this position this year, I believe most of these positions are locked in with the exception of de Beer’s spot, who could become a camp casulaty despite an all-time great last name.
CB (6): Tre’Davious White, Vontae Davis, Taron Johnson, Phillip Gains, Lafayette Pitts, Levi Wallace
- Again, massive change here as the Bills decided to part with EJ Gains and Leonhard Johnson. A lot of unknowns for the team at the corner spot as they jog onto the field at Fisher today.
S (4): Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer, Siran Neal, Rafael Bush
- Baring injury and aside from the obvious position groups, there might not be a safer bet than this group here.
LB (6): Lorenzo Alexander, Tremaine Edmunds, Matt Milano, Tanner Vallejo, Ramon Humber, Keenan Robinson
- I think the recent addition of Robinson sneaks onto the roster.
DE (4): Jerry Hughes, Trent Murphy, Eddie Yarbrough, +Someone not named Shaq Lawson
- In my heart I do not believe Shaq Lawson will be on this roster for much longer. Rex and Whaley’s picks and players have been purged from this roster and he is one of the last to remain (looking at you Shady)
DT (4): Kyle Williams, Star Lotulelei, Harrison Phillips, Adolphus Washington
- I think Adolphus is a player the Bills would like to replace, but he sneaks onto the roster again by default.
ST (3): Stephen Hauschka, Colton Schmitt, Reid Ferguson
- Great unit from last year is back again
What do you think? Do you agree with me that Lawson will be this years version of Watkins/Darby and be traded before the Bills break camp? Make sure to give us a follow on Twitter to stay up to date on all the latest from Buffalo Authority!!